CPRE’s policy on the Oxford-Milton Keynes-Cambridge Arc
This policy position statement sets out the background to CPRE’s interest in the Cambridge – Milton Keynes – Oxford Arc and the principles by which we think the area should be planned over the coming decades.
In November 2017, the Government’s National Infrastructure Commission (NIC) recommended 1 million new homes and 1.1 million new jobs should be created in this area by 2050.
In this statement, we set out a series of principles that the Government should follow in its response to the NIC. They are:
– We should aim to protect and enhance the countryside, landscape and heritage assets.
– There are other parts of England, particularly in the Midlands and northern regions, that need regeneration and merit investment more than the area of the Arc.
– In housing, the main priority should be providing the affordable housing needed by existing residents supported by sustainable public transport.
– Sustainable transport at all levels, including East-West Rail, should be supported and prioritised over new road-building.
– There needs to be wide-scale public engagement and consultation both on the overall growth proposals and on the Expressway proposal.